Temporary derogation from flight ban for connections between Switzerland, the UK and South Africa
Since 24 December 2020, air traffic between Switzerland and the United Kingdom (incl. the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and South Africa have been subject to a number of restrictions as described below. Passenger flights from these two countries to Switzerland require prior approval from the FOCA.
New opening hours
The FOCA's Traffic Rights service handles applications for permits from Monday to Friday 8.15 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. local time.
The Office remains closed at weekends. Applications are not processed outside these hours. They must be submitted at least one working day before the departure of the flight for which a permit is requested.
Please use the form provided for this purpose for your authorisation requests:
Requests should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Departures to the UK and South Africa
Passenger flights from Switzerland to the UK and South Africa are no longer suspended. Special protective measures apply to passengers who are currently in quarantine. These measures must be in place on the journey to the airport in order to minimise the epidemiological risk. The Federal Office of Public Health FOPH will work with the cantons to coordinate this special transfer service. Airlines are required to comply with existing protective health measures when operating these flights.
Entry into Switzerland from the UK and South Africa
Passenger flights from the UK (incl. the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and South Africa to Swiss airports are only possible with a special permit issued by the FOCA. This permit can only be issued if the following conditions are met:
- Only passengers in one of the following categories in accordance with Article 4 of COVID-19 Ordinance 3 may travel:
- -Swiss citizens (incl. citizens of Liechtenstein)
- -Holders of a Swiss residence permit or type D visa
- -Holders of a ‘laisser-passer’ issued by a Swiss representation who meet the previously applicable entry requirements
- The operator undertakes to inform passengers about quarantine measures in Switzerland applicable on their arrival.