FOCA SAND-2012-001 Rev. version of 30.05.2012
Based on aircraft continuous airworthiness monitoring and regular surveillance activities, the FOCA has found that installed ELTs were often unairworthy which could be due to the following reasons:
- The wrong antenna or the wrong antenna cable is installed on the ELT
- The maintenance was not carried out in accordance to the manufacturer's instructions
- The ELT is not operational (for e.g. old, flat batteries)
Presently, ELT details of many Swiss aircraft are outstanding. Furthermore, the existing ELT database entries are incomplete or incorrect. This is often due to the following reasons:
- The aircraft is not equipped with an ELT1
- The ELT was not reported to the FOCA accordingly (whereby it was not registered in the SAR database)
- Changes in details (for e.g. emergency address, change of ownership of the aircraft) were not reported to the FOCA
Although the Technical Communication only concerns "ICAO Annex 8"- compliant aircraft, the FOCA urgently recommends all owners to install a 406 MHz ELT.
The FOCA stresses, the responsibility lies with the owner of the aircraft to ensure the operational reliability of the ELT. This in regards to the correct installation and maintenance through a certified provider, as well as the accuracy of the data in the ELT database.
Furthermore, the aircraft owner holds the responsibility that ELT- code details are reported by using the form "Application for 406 MHz - SWISS ELT Registration" and that any changes to the registered data are promptly reported to the FOCA.
1 If the aircraft is operated under the provisions of TM 20.140-01, a written application for an exemption to the equipment requirements should be submitted to the following address:
Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA)
Safety Division Aircraft
Standardization, Enforcement and Registry
This FOCA publication will not guarantee any revisions and new publications on this topic.
Federal Office of Civil Aviation
Safety Division Infrastructure
Search and Rescue SAR