Traffic rights

Foreign air carriers wishing to enter, transit or flyover Switzerland with civil aircraft may require a permit, depending on the domicile of the operator and the type of flight.

Charter flights (*), commercial business flights (*) and scheduled flights which do not qualify for free access to the EU market require a permit from the Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA):

(*) Certain non-scheduled commercial flights (taxi flights) operated by carriers from signatory states of the 1956 Paris Convention (Multilateral Agreement on Commercial Rights of Non-scheduled Air Services in Europe) do not require a permit.

Civil aircraft that are registered in a member state of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), do not require an overflight permit, or landing permit for non-commercial purpose.

You can obtain information about the following topics by clicking on the corresponding link:

Further information


Federal Office of Civil Aviation FOCA

Traffic rights

Tel: +41 58 465 42 98
or +41 58 465 91 25
Fax: +41 58 465 53 66

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday
08.15-12.00 / 13.00-16.30

Please note: Applications submitted outside normal office hours cannot be dealt with immediately.  

Print contact