Non-EU/EFTA air carriers - charter flights

This page contains information for foreign air carriers based in countries outside the European Union (EU) or the European Free Trade Area (EFTA) regarding charter flights.

The following application procedure applies to commercial flights that require a permit from the Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA):

Individual flights

Individual permits can be issued for up to three flights in three months. Applications must be submitted not later than 72 hours before the first flight, and must include the following documentation:

Charter flight chains

For more than four flights, air carriers require a Swiss Operating Permit. Applications must be submitted not later than 30 days before the first flight. Please consult the guidelines and use the corresponding application forms.

Third Country Operators (TCO)

On 26.05.2014, new rules for TCO entered into force: all TCOs engaged in scheduled or non-scheduled commercial air transport (including Wet-lease or Codeshare-arrangements with EU/EFTA operators) must hold a safety authorisation issued by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 452/2014.

For further information please visit the EASA website.

Important: the Member States continue to be responsible for the issuance of operating and landing permits!

Guidance material

Application forms

Further information


Federal Office of Civil Aviation

Traffic rights

Tel: +41 58 465 42 98
or +41 58 465 91 25
Fax: +41 58 465 53 66

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday
08.15-12.00 / 13.00-16.30Please note:

Applications submitted outside normal office hours cannot be dealt with immediately.

Print contact