If you have been denied boarding (e.g. overbooked flight), you are entitled to receive assistance and compensation.
In case of denied boarding, the airline is required to pay the following compensation:
- 250 euros for flights with a distance of up to 1,500 kilometres
- 400 euros for flights with a distance of between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometres
- 600 euros for flights with a distance of more than 3,500 kilometres
This compensation may be halved if your journey is not delayed by more than 2, 3 or 4 hours, depending on the flight distance (see above).
However, the airline is not required to pay compensation if, for example, a passenger arrives too late at check-in or the departure gate, or does not possess all the necessary travel documents, or if the airline is able to cite other legitimate grounds for not permitting the passenger to board the aircraft.
The airline is also required to offer you the following:
- The choice between reimbursement of the ticket price or re-routing to your destination
- Meals and beverages in reasonable relation to the waiting time. If your onward flight is delayed until the next day (change of date), the airline is required to offer hotel accommodation (including transport) if necessary. It also has to offer you telecommunication facilities.
Last modification 15.10.2008