The HB aircraft register is used for reserving aircraft registration numbers, for registering aircraft, suspending, reinstating or deleting aircraft registrations, and modifying aircraft operator/owner details. This quick guide describes the most important procedures.
Reserving and registering an aircraft
- The first step in the registration procedure is to reserve a registration number. For this purpose, please complete the corresponding reservation form, entering as much information as possible - e.g. especially concerning time between overhaul (TBO).
- After the details you have provided have been verified, your aircraft will be assigned a registration number.
- You will then receive an invoice for the reservation of the aircraft number, together with an administrative and technical checklist citing the documentation that is required for registration. For the operation of your aircraft you will also need to submit various other technical forms, as well as OPS forms if the aircraft is to be operated commercially.
- The registration procedure will be initiated as soon as all the required documentation has been submitted.
Modification of an aircraft registration
- Please use the application form for modification of an entry in the Swiss aircraft register (main form), and if applicable observe the regulations governing signatory powers or the extract from the commercial register of your organisation. All sections of parts 1 and 2 of this form must be completed.
- For modifying co-operator/owner details, please use the corresponding annexes.
- For associations, please also use the annex for the registration of associations in addition to the main form.
- Please note: Every registered operator must be listed on the liability and passenger insurance certificate.
- In the event of a change of operator, the aircraft maintenance programme, the 406 MHz ELT registration and the radio communication licence must be modified.
- Note: In case of an operator change the existing maintenance programme automatically loses its validity. A new maintenance programme must be created by the new operator. Due to the legal possibilities (EASA Part-M/ML), an approval of the maintenance program by the FOCA is no longer required in every case (self-declarations, or approvals by CAMO/CAO). If an approval by the FOCA is required, the maintenance prorgramme must be submited together with the application for modification of a registration.
Suspension and reinstatement of aircraft registration
- With respect to suspension of registration, please contact your insurance provider.
- If you intend to formally suspend the registration of your aircraft, please return the certificate of airworthiness or permit to fly to us. The liability insurance provider will subsequently be notified.
- If you wish to reinstate the registration of your aircraft, you are required to let us have a valid insurance certificate / notice of reinstatement. For the purpose of reinstatement, the airworthiness review certificate (ARC) / confirmation of review must be valid.
- If the aircraft is sold to an operator outside the country or is definitively taken out of operation, the entry in the Swiss aircraft register has to be deleted.
- For this purpose, please submit the corresponding application form and, if applicable, observe the regulations governing signatory powers of your association or the extract from the commercial register of your organisation.
- An entry in the Swiss aircraft register may only be deleted after the certificate of registration and the airworthiness certificate / permit to fly have been returned to us.
- If the issuance of a certificate of airworthiness for export (CofA for Export) is requested on the request for deregistration, a physical inspection by FOCA of the aircraft must be carried out. It is generally recommended to contact the competent authority of the future country of registration regarding the registration conditions before deregistering the aircraft.
Federal Office of Civil Aviation FOCA
Lu-Ve 09.00 – 11.30
You can find telephone numbers of directly accessible section (specialists) on your correspondence.
08.30 – 11.30
or on appointment