1. Can an airline company refuse to transport
a person with disabilities or reduced mobility?
Airline companies are not allowed to refuse.
But there are situations,
in which these people cannot be transported.
- If there are special regulations in a country.
- If a plane is too small to transport
medical luggage or a wheelchair.
That is why you should always ask the airline company
if everything is ok.
2. Can you choose your seat on the plane?
No, you cannot choose your seat.
But the airline company must make sure
that you get a good seat
3. Do you need to bring a carer on the plane?
Airline companies are not allowed to demand this.
But you might have to travel
with a carer for safety reasons.
To travel alone,
you normally have to meet the following requirements:
- You can close and open the seatbelt by yourself.
- You can put on and take off a life jacket by yourself.
- You can get out of your seat and get to the emergency exit
without any help.
You do not have to be able to walk to do so.
You can also get to the emergency exit in another way.
- You can put on your oxygen mask by yourself.
- You understand the safety rules
and can also keep to these without any assistance.
A carer should be older than 16 years old
and be able to help you in an emergency.
Carers must also have a normal ticket for the flight.
4. Do you need documented proof of your disability or reduced mobility?
No. You do not need documented proof.
An airline company might not be sure
that you can travel on their plane without assistance.
In this situation, the airline company may ask you
to provide information about your disability.
5. Can you take an electric wheelchair on a plane?
Yes. You can take an electric wheelchair onto the plane.
Airline companies must transport up to 2 wheelchairs.
This is free of charge.
Provide the airline company with all of the important information.
The following information is needed for electric wheelchairs:
- Brand and model of the wheelchair
- Exact dimensions of the wheelchair.
How tall is it? How wide is it?
- How heavy is the wheelchair?
- What type of battery does the wheelchair have?
What is the capacity of the battery?
You can usually bring your electric wheelchair
up to the doors of the plane.
But you sometimes need to check in the wheelchair earlier.
This is to make sure that it can be transported safely on the plane.
Please contact the airline about this as early as possible.
You will then be told exactly what is possible.
Last modification 14.12.2022